- Date: 12 July 2019, 13:15 – 14:30
- Location: Conference Room 4, United Nations Headquarters
The 2019 Financing for Sustainable Development Report (FSDR) of the Inter-agency Task Force warns that mobilizing sufficient financing remains a major challenge in implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Despite signs of progress, investments that are critical to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) remain underfunded and parts of the multilateral system are under strain.
The side event will contribute to this year’s HLPF theme “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” by building on analysis from the FSDR and exploring in more depth financing and implementation of SDG 8 “decent work and economic growth”, SDG 10 “reduced inequalities” and SDG 13 “combat climate change”. In the spirit of the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, it seeks to strengthen the means of implementation of the 2030 Agenda and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development, as specified in SDG 17 of the 2030 Agenda.
The side event will be structured as an interactive panel discussion.
Opening remarks: Mr. Liu Zhenmin, USG of DESA and Chair of the Inter-agency Task Force
- Mr. Navid Hanif, Director, Financing for Sustainable Development Office, UN DESA
- H.E. Mr. Courtenay Rattray, Permanent Representative of Jamaica to the United Nations
- H.E. Mrs. Elisenda Vives Balmaña, Permanent Representative of Andorra to the United Nations (TBC)
- Mr. Mahmoud Mohieldin, Senior Vice President for the 2030 Development Agenda, United Nations Relations, and Partnerships, WBG
Interventions by stakeholders, including:
- World Bank
- Civil society
- Business sector
Open discussion, moderated by Mr. Navid Hanif